Followers

Follow on Bloglovin

Now on Instagram!

Instagram

Saturday, February 11, 2012

The Incredible Journey by Sheila Burnford



Summary:
Instinct told them that the way home lay to the west. And so the doughty young Labrador retriever, the roguish bull terrier and the indomitable Siamese set out through the Canadian wilderness. Separately, they would soon have died. But, together, the three house pets faced starvation, exposure, and wild forest animals to make their way home to the family they love. The Incredible Journey is one of the great children's stories of all time--and has been popular ever since its debut in 1961.
Summary taken from Goodreads.com
Length: 160 pages
Source: Toronto Public Library
Publication Date: 1961

Nothing feels better than to read an old childhood classic read. Plus I was able to include it in my Around the World in 52 Books Challenge. It's been many years since my Daddy read me this (Hey I may be 21 but Daddy is the only thing I've ever called my father) story. I loved it then and I really loved reading it now that I'm older.

The story of the young lab, old bull terrier and the Siamese cat is one that is timeless and one that appeals to both the young and old as well as new readers and those who just want to revisit the story.

Now I like the variety of children's/juvenile fiction books that are on the market now but I think that it's important that we still expose the young people to these heartwarming tales that have warmed the hearts of readers of decades.

I loved reading about Tao, Luath, and Bodger again it was like I was visiting old friends that have stayed the same as I got older. Now I feel like I appreciate this little gem of a book all the more and though times got tough for the unlikely trio and they had to face starvation and wild animals I enjoyed traipsing through my home province of Ontario in the wilderness with them.

I highly recommend this book to my fellow Canadians and of course to everyone else. Read it to your children, read it again if you've read it and even if you aren't a kid give it a try. You won't regret this tale (pun intended) of adventure and friendship. The best way to read it is with your favourite hot beverage and a pet cuddling you (or a child).

★ ★ ★ ★ ★

1 comment:

  1. I bought a copy of this for my 10 year old grandson. He called me today (we can't get together because of COVID) to tell me he finished it and he loved it. I told him that this was one of my favorite books as a child. What a great way to bond over the miles!!!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments! So feel free to comment away I'll try to answer every post so check back! . Also feel free to leave a link to your blog and I will absolutely follow you back :) Happy Reading!
*Note: This is an award free blog, thanks for thinking of me but I simply don't have the time to pass it along!