Followers

Follow on Bloglovin

Now on Instagram!

Instagram

Thursday, February 23, 2017

[Review]* In Farleigh Field by Rhys Bowen




In Farleigh Field: A Novel of World War IIWorld War II comes to Farleigh Place, the ancestral home of Lord Westerham and his five daughters, when a soldier with a failed parachute falls to his death on the estate. After his uniform and possessions raise suspicions, MI5 operative and family friend Ben Cresswell is covertly tasked with determining if the man is a German spy. The assignment also offers Ben the chance to be near Lord Westerham’s middle daughter, Pamela, whom he furtively loves. But Pamela has her own secret: she has taken a job at Bletchley Park, the British code-breaking facility.
As Ben follows a trail of spies and traitors, which may include another member of Pamela’s family, he discovers that some within the realm have an appalling, history-altering agenda. Can he, with Pamela’s help, stop them before England falls?
Inspired by the events and people of World War II, writer Rhys Bowen crafts a sweeping and riveting saga of class, family, love, and betrayal.

Summary & Cover taken from Goodreads.com
Length: 396 pages (Paperback)
Source: Review Copy
Genre: Historical Fiction
Available Formats: Print/E-book/Audio
Buy Links: AMAZON US AMAZON CAN AMAZON UK
Expected Publication Date: March 1st 2017 Lake Union Publishing 


Just a warning I'm going to be intentionally vague in my review. but as there are various subplots in this novel I feel it's best to talk about what I loved about it and not give a full analysis and pick apart the story so as not to give away any of the secrets you're sure to uncover in In Farleigh Field.
I've been a fan of the whole Bletchley Circle type story since, well Bletchley Circle came out on BBC and I've been looking for some really good historical fiction to fill the void that the show left in me and this was everything I wanted.
I'm not the biggest fan of reading this era in history and this one actually has me wanting to read more of the era, which I'm planning to do so if you have any recommendations hand 'em over.
Anyways, back to the review.
Farleigh Field was one of those reads that swept me up in the feel of the era, The frantic, nervous energy that surrounded everyone, the feeling of being shrouded in fear and not knowing what was going to happen from one day to the next got me. That along with the great selection of characters and vivid story telling was amazing.
I loved the wide range of characters, the ages vary and so do their views on the war and what is going on. I thought that seeing the world through the eyes of several different characters helpful, and different. How often do we think of children in the war? How often do we think of the other side? This one made me think a lot about the world then and the comparisons that we can draw in our world today.
You could tell that the Rhys Bowen, did a tremendous amount of research to put this novel together. It isn't easy digging up facts about that era, as so many would believe with it still being withing living memory for many but bringing it back to life in such a way that I could be transported back was an amazing feat. I felt as though I could reach out and touch things in the scenes and made me fall in love with the characters, because they were so well put together.
Full of rich historical detail, amazing characters and an awesome plot this is one novel not to be missed and I recommend it for all historical fiction lovers and readers in general.



*Note I'd like to thank  the publisher for the opportunity to review this novel.

if-youre-here-blinkie

8 comments:

  1. As I was reading the review I kept thinking "Please love it, please love it" and I'm so glad you did! I have this coming up and I absolutely love the Bletchley Park setting. Bowen has another series set in the early part of the 20th century which is super fun though lighter than this one sounds like it is. I'm super excited to read this one now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love when the author can sweep the reader away :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This one sounds good. I do like WWII era fiction, do I'll add this one to my list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been in the mood for a novel like this for awhile so thanks for putting this on my radar! Straight to the TBR it goes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great review.

    I love the sound of this, and seeing it through many eyes, I think, makes it even more intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Youre so cool! I dont suppose Ive read anything like this before. So nice to find somebody with some original thoughts on this subject. realy thank you for starting this up. this website is something that is needed on the web, someone with a little originality. useful job for bringing something new to the internet!

    Datafutures.org
    Information
    Click Here
    Visit Web

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments! So feel free to comment away I'll try to answer every post so check back! . Also feel free to leave a link to your blog and I will absolutely follow you back :) Happy Reading!
*Note: This is an award free blog, thanks for thinking of me but I simply don't have the time to pass it along!