(Taken from Goodreads.com)
Earlier this week I reviewed Jen Minkman's young adult paranormal romance novel Shadow of Time which you can read by clicking here. Now I'm lucky enough to have gotten a chance to interview Jen so without further ago here's my author Q&A with here:
1. What inspired you to write Shadow of time?
Stephenie Meyer's books, because I wanted to write a paranormal romance with Native American elements that would have a happy ending for the Native American guy (as in, getting the girl)!
2. Who are your top 5 favourite authors?
Difficult question! I really like Ray Bradbury, Stefan Zweig, Thea Beckman and Suzanne Collins. In the paranormal genre, my favourite is Cynthia Hand.
3. What are your top 10 favourite books?
The Hunger Games, Fahrenheit 451, The Martian Chronicles, Twilight, Schachnovelle (a German classic), Unearthly, Kinderen van Moeder Aarde (a Dutch book), and my own books, haha ;)
4. If you could meet any author alive or dead who would it be?
I'm going for Ray Bradbury in that case.
5. If you could time travel what time would you go to?
A time before Europe was flooded with patriarchal societies and cultures; a time when they still worshipped the Goddess.
6. What was the best part of writing Shadow of Time?
Doing all the research! I loved reading up on the Navajos and I really enjoyedm learning so many new things.
7. What was the most difficult part of the writing process for you?
Cutting out stuff I liked in order to make it a better book :(
8. Who were your biggest supporters while you were writing Shadow of time?
I guess writing is more or less a one-woman show for me; I don't need support. But if I had to name a few people who supported me throughout the getting-publishing process, that would be my sister and my best friend.
9. Do you have any advice for would be authors?
Never give up, but don't be afraid of constructive criticism, it will only make your books better in the long run.
10. Besides from being an author, can you tell us a bit more about yourself?
I am a teacher of English and I love my job very much because it involves helping kids and trying to prepare them for the big bad world out there :) I also really like all kinds of creative stuff, like painting, drawing, making music and (obviously) writing. I have a passion for languages and wish I could learn a new language every year.
11. If you could describe your book in 30 words or less how would you describe it?
Shadow of Time is a supernatural, romantic adventure set in Navajo Nation, involving shapeshifters, spirituality and love lasting more than one lifetime!
12. Do you see yourself still writing in the next 10 years?
Oh yes. Nothing will make me stop!
13. Do you think blogs and social networks are an aid or a hinderance to authors?
An aid, absolutely. I wouldn't be where I am today without the support and time that blogs devoted to reviewing and discussing my work!
14. What has been your most rewarding experience as an author?
Seeing my book sell fairly well and reading reviews written by absolute strangers who bothered to buy my book and leave a few lines on Amazon. I write for myself, but when I manage to entertain other people with it, it's such a thrill!
Thanks for the Interview Jen!
To "Like" Jen on Facebook CLICK HERE
To "Follow" Jen on Twitter CLICK HERE
To become a "Fan" of Jen on Goodreads CLICK HERE
To visit Jen's Website CLICK HERE