Followers

Follow on Bloglovin

Now on Instagram!

Instagram

Saturday, September 14, 2013

The Right Kind of Girl (Best of Betty Neels) by Betty Neels

The Right Kind of Girl (The Best of Betty Neels)
 
Summary:



A suitable wife?
Emma Trent had spent most of her life looking after other people, so it was a shock to encounter a man so determined to take care of her - Sir Paul Wyatt was fast becoming her very own guardian angel!
She was hardly in a position to turn down his proposal of marriage, even if it was motivated by convenience on his part. With her plain looks and practical nature, Emma knew her limitations, but longed for children of her own. Could the eminent surgeon be the answer to all her dreams?
Summary & Cover taken from Goodreads.com
Length: 224 pages (Mass Market Paperback)
Source: Own
Available Formats: E-book (No longer in print)
Publication Date: June 1st 2004 by Harlequin (first published December 1995)

A few weeks ago I was chatting with a woman who like's the blog's Facebook page and she recommended Betty Neels to me because I was looking to expand my sweet reads library and it just so happened that my local used bookstore had a moving sale almost around the same time so I was able to score The Right Kind of Girl for 25 cents.

Anyways, since I love when people comment on the page I decided to give this one a try since I needed a quick and easy read I decided to go with this one. I knew right off the bat that the book wasn't going to be one of my steamy romance and it was nice to read something cozy and sweet for once.

Emma Trent is your average 25 year old woman living and working in rural England where she's practically taking care of everyone but herself. Not that she's a mess or anything, she's just one of those people that gives and gives. I thought Emma was exceptionally sweet and I really liked that about her. Unfortunately for Emma, tragedy strikes and her mother dies unexpectedly leaving her in a financial hole which Sir Paul Wyatt offers to bail her out of. Sir Paul is in his 40s and completely self sufficient and is looking for a companion so he proposes marriage to our young heroine, though not out of love but out of convenience.

The thing about this love story is that even though I wasn't expecting anything hot and heavy I would have liked the characters to have some passion for each other. Paul completely took advantage of Emma's youth and naivete. She obviously cared deeply for him but all he seemed to do is treat her like a child. However, Emma was partly to blame because the poor girl had very little backbone for much of the novel and I wanted to slap her about a bit and tell her to put her big girl panties on but things between her and Sir Paul seemed to work out by the end of the book.

Overall, I wasn't overly impressed by The Right Kind of Girl. It was a cozy and sweet which I loved, and Emma was a great character but I just couldn't commit to the romance aspect of the book. I thought the whole story line was a little jumbled and it seemed to go from naught to 100 kilometers an hour with the drama and angst that I felt made the story lose some of it's charm. That being said I still found it enjoyable and I'm glad that I gave an author I hadn't read before a try. This one might not have been the best book for me to be introduced to the author's writing style but I do look forward to reading another book by Neels soon.

I would recommend this book to fans of clean, contemporary, sweet romances. Also fans of 1990's contemporary Harlequin books should give this a try. This was a good little book that could be read on a cool fall day with a warm cup of tea.

I read this book for the following reading challenges:
 
2013 150+ Reading Challenge

 Liked It!
★★★

 
To purchase the book via Amazon CLICK HERE
To purchase the book via Kobo CLICK HERE
To purchase the book via Barnes & Noble CLICK HERE



2 comments:

  1. Sounds a bit too sweet -- or rather, the heroine sounds a bit too insipid for my taste!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How do you keep track of so many authors you like?

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments! So feel free to comment away I'll try to answer every post so check back! . Also feel free to leave a link to your blog and I will absolutely follow you back :) Happy Reading!
*Note: This is an award free blog, thanks for thinking of me but I simply don't have the time to pass it along!