Followers

Follow on Bloglovin

Now on Instagram!

Instagram

Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Breakfast at Tiffany's A Short Novel and Three Stories by Truman Capote

Summary:
In this seductive, wistful masterpiece, Truman Capote created a woman whose name has entered the American idiom and whose style is a part of the literary landscape. Holly Golightly knows that nothing bad can ever happen to you at Tiffany's; her poignancy, wit, and naïveté continue to charm.

This volume also includes three of Capote's best-known stories, “House of Flowers,” “A Diamond Guitar,” and “A Christmas Memory,” which the Saturday Review called “One of the most moving stories in our language.” It is a tale of two innocents—a small boy and the old woman who is his best friend—whose sweetness contains a hard, sharp kernel of truth.

Summary takrn from Goodreads.com

So after years of trying to avoid most of the modern classics I decided to break down and read this one. I spotted it by chance a week ago and picked it up figuring that with it being so short it would be a quick read. Plus I'm trying to branch out and try some books that I might not usually give a chance.
Sadly I hoped that this book would be much better than it was, yet it never achieved anything more than mediocrity in my eyes. While I did find Holly Golightly to be amusing I just could not get into his writing. To me it was dull and slow. But it seems like the majority of people who have read it do enjoy it. This may be a case of it being a book that just isn't for me.
I did enjoy Breakfast at Tiffany's more than I did his short stories which I found to be dreary and poorly written. I did not like how here was a lack of fluidity but then again I am not a fan of short stories in general and I don't think that I will be reading anything else by him in the near future, perhaps in 10 years or so when I'm older I'll give this one another shot.
I do hope that despite my review while very short and not very favourable that you give this book a try for yourselves. Far be it for me to hinder people from reading when I think people should be reading more.
 ★ ★ 1/2

2 comments:

  1. I’d have to check with you here. Which is not something I usually do! I enjoy reading a post that will make people think. Also, thanks for allowing me to comment!

    Chippewa.com
    Information
    Website

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments! So feel free to comment away I'll try to answer every post so check back! . Also feel free to leave a link to your blog and I will absolutely follow you back :) Happy Reading!
*Note: This is an award free blog, thanks for thinking of me but I simply don't have the time to pass it along!