Followers

Follow on Bloglovin

Now on Instagram!

Instagram

Saturday, June 21, 2014

A Natural History of Dragons: A Memoir by Lady Trent (Memoir by Lady Trent #1) by Marie Brennan




A Natural History of Dragons: A Memoir by Lady Trent

Summary:

You, dear reader, continue at your own risk. It is not for the faint of heart—no more so than the study of dragons itself. But such study offers rewards beyond compare: to stand in a dragon’s presence, even for the briefest of moments—even at the risk of one’s life—is a delight that, once experienced, can never be forgotten. . . .

All the world, from Scirland to the farthest reaches of Eriga, know Isabella, Lady Trent, to be the world’s preeminent dragon naturalist. She is the remarkable woman who brought the study of dragons out of the misty shadows of myth and misunderstanding into the clear light of modern science. But before she became the illustrious figure we know today, there was a bookish young woman whose passion for learning, natural history, and, yes, dragons defied the stifling conventions of her day.

Here at last, in her own words, is the true story of a pioneering spirit who risked her reputation, her prospects, and her fragile flesh and bone to satisfy her scientific curiosity; of how she sought true love and happiness despite her lamentable eccentricities; and of her thrilling expedition to the perilous mountains of Vystrana, where she made the first of many historic discoveries that would change the world forever.

Marie Brennan introduces an enchanting new world in A Natural History of Dragons.
Summary & Cover taken from Goodreads.com
Length: 336 pages (Hardcover)
Available Formats: Print/E-book/Audio
Publication Date: February 5th 2013 by Tom Doherty Associates

Dragons, adventure, strong heroines and an alternative take on history. Those are all words that I'd use to describe A Natural History of Dragons and for me finding a book that has all those things, and has them all in a fantastically written novel pretty much gained Marie Brennan a fan for life.

I'd been hearing such fantastic things about this one for months before I finally decided to hunker down and read it and right from page one I was completely, and utterly hooked. Just ask my Mister, as I recall I went a little hermit on him and ignored him for a bit to read it, it was that damn good.

I like how Marie Brennan  created such a spunky heroine in Isabella and how we got to see her go from little girl, to a teen girl and finally to a wonderfully outspoken and intelligent woman. It was nice to see that her passion for dragons stayed with her, even though for a time she did put it to the side her passion won out. She was just so earnest about her desires to study the dragons I could help but love her and I loved how much she loved her husband as well. He was such a sweetheart and so devoted to her I thought their interactions were perfect.
 
What I loved most though was that the book was written in a memoir format. It's one of my favourite styles of writing and I wish that I saw more of it. Sometimes when this format is used it can feel lacking, but Brennan sucked me into the story. I loved the feeling of being swept away into the world of Scriland (akin to Victorian England) and Vystrana which to me felt as though it were set in a place like northern China or Mongolia. I enjoyed the descriptive nature of the writing because it really made the sights, and sounds of Isabella's journey come alive. Plus, the beautifully depictions of dragons, which appear throughout the book just made it that more unique to me.
 
The story was fraught with adventure, a little romance and a lot of mystery due to strange happenings whilst Isabella is finally off exploring the world of Dragons. I went through all the emotions with this one and definitely see Isabella as one of my favourite heroines and can't wait to read more of her adventures since I'd rate this one as one of my top reads of last year.
 
I'd recommend this one to everyone. It has elements of historical fiction and fantasy mixed in very well that it doesn't feel like fantasy but it's got a whole lot of adventures in it that are sure to delight fans of dragons and strong heroines that don't take any one's crap.



Loved It!
★★★★
 

To "Follow" Marie on Twitter CLICK HERE
To become a "Fan" of Marie on Goodreads CLICK HERE
To visit Marie's Website CLICK HERE
To purchase the book via Chapters Indigo CLICK HERE
To purchase the book via Kobo CLICK HERE
To purchase the book via Amazon CLICK HERE
To purchase the book via AmazonUK CLICK HERE
To purchase the book via The Book Depository CLICK HERE
To purchase the book via Barnes & Noble CLICK HERE
 
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/12974372-a-natural-history-of-dragons?ac=1
 
 
if-youre-here-blinkie

10 comments:

  1. Fantastic review :) This is definitely on my TBR now. It looks so freaking interesting!
    My Mr hates it when I become a book-hermit, but it's the price he has to pay for having fellen in love with me!
    Cora @ Tea Party Princess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Cora :) I'm glad I'm not the only one with a pouty hubby lol. I hope you like it when you get to it.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the review- glad to see you liked this one so much. A friend of mine loves dragons, so I think she would really enjoy this.

    Lauren @ www.shootingstarsmag.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Woot! I love when people find new books, especially ones for friends. :)

      Delete
  3. OMG! I want this book. Dragons and strong heroins?? You got me :)
    I'm loving it and I haven't even read it yet!
    Great review girl!
    Ruty@Reading...Dreaming

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'd love this one Ruty since we seem to like a lot of the same books. I hope you read it soon because I can't wait to see what you think of it :)

      Delete
  4. Wonderful review. I don't think I knew it was memoir style so that's good to know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bea :) The author used the memoir style in a brilliant way.

      Delete
  5. Thats cool if you become a book hermit sometimes. Ive been known to be a hermit when it comes to certain videogames. Lol. Great review by the way.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments! So feel free to comment away I'll try to answer every post so check back! . Also feel free to leave a link to your blog and I will absolutely follow you back :) Happy Reading!
*Note: This is an award free blog, thanks for thinking of me but I simply don't have the time to pass it along!