Followers

Follow on Bloglovin

Now on Instagram!

Instagram

Wednesday, November 7, 2012

The Bachelor Farmers by Brenda Sorrels


The Bachelor Farmers
 
Summary:
 
Set in Northern Minnesota in the winter of 1919, THE BACHELOR FARMERS tells a story of two Norwegian brothers who learn the meaning of love from a most unlikely source.

Hans and Jon, the youngest of four immigrant brothers, have just inherited land from their recently deceased father and set out to develop it, thus perpetuating the family dream of success in America. When Jon learns that the husband of Mahal, a beautiful half-breed, Ojibwa woman, has been injured on their property and cannot work, he hires her to be their personal cook.

Under the eye of his disapproving brother, Jon finds himself falling in love, but when a terrible blizzard blows into town without warning, the three of them must deal with the consequences and make decisions that will ultimately reshape their lives in profound and unimaginable ways.

THE BACHELOR FARMERS takes us into a world where true meaning and healing are found in the complexity of human relationships and in the choices that are made in the face of adversity.
Summary & Photo taken from Goodreads.com
Length: 176 pages (E-book)
Source: Review Copy
Publication Date: March 10th 2012 by Brenda Sorrels
 
Some time ago I was approached by author Brenda Sorrels who wanted me to review her novel The Bachelor Farmers and I readily agreed. I couldn't help it, I was completely taken in by the summary of the novel and knew it would be the perfect book for me and you know what? It really was perfect for me.
 
I loved this book. I really did. It was so different from my usual type of historical fiction/historical romance novel that I would typically read and I thought that was great. I love discovering new authors and Brenda Sorrels truly has a new fan in me.
 
There was a lot of story packed into this 176 page novel. It was part family saga, historical fiction mixed with historical romance written with a distinct new voice in the writing world. I found the Bachelor Farmers to be an incredibly moving, dramatic read perfect for reading in the fall and winter to allow you to curl up and drift away to 1919 Minnesota.
 
The book focuses on two brothers Hans and Jon the youngest son's in their family and it takes place not very long after their parent's deaths. Since it is just the two of them on their family homestead now with there parents gone and their older brothers are off on their own with their families.
 
One day Jon happens upon a young half native girl named Mahal who is working to support her injured older husband and brings her home to be Hans and his housekeeper at home. Slowly, feelings for Mahal grow on both brothers sides for the young girl until one night changes everything for everyone involved. I loved how this novel gives a bit of insight into rural Minnesota during the early part of the 1919s.
 
The descriptive writing style the author employed is what really had me interested. The writing flowed wonderfully and the characters were incredibly well developed and her ability to evoke emotions was great. I'm really glad I gave this novel a chance and I really hope Brenda Sorrels continues her writing career. I hope to see more books from her in the future. I highly recommend this book to fans of historical fiction with a romantic and dramatic twist.
 
*I received a complementary copy of this book in exchange for my FREE and HONEST review.
Really Liked it!
★ ★ ★ ★ 1/2
 
 
To "Like" Brenda on Facebook CLICK HERE
To "Follow" Brenda on Twitter CLICK HERE
To visit Brenda's Website CLICK HERE
To purchase the book via Amazon CLICK HERE
To purchase the book via Barnes & Noble CLICK HERE
 
 
 
 
 

4 comments:

  1. This sounds delightful Kimberly, and I love these family saga, historical romance type books. Thanks for sharing this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kimberly for a job well-done! Much appreciation is at hand!

      Delete
  2. This sounds like a wonderful read...I'll definitely check this otut!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, I'm a bit confused with the review and story outline. I cannot tell by reading it if this book erotic or just romance. Is it a menage? I like the story outline but if I was to get it, I'd want to understand more the heat level so I am not disappointed either way.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments! So feel free to comment away I'll try to answer every post so check back! . Also feel free to leave a link to your blog and I will absolutely follow you back :) Happy Reading!
*Note: This is an award free blog, thanks for thinking of me but I simply don't have the time to pass it along!