Followers

Follow on Bloglovin

Now on Instagram!

Instagram

Tuesday, November 22, 2016

Top Ten Tuesday #89

Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created here at The Broke and the Bookish in June 2010. This feature was created because we are particularly fond of lists here at The Broke and the Bookish. We'd love to share our lists with other bookish folks and would LOVE to see your top ten lists!

Each week we will post a new Top Ten list  that one of our bloggers here at The Broke and the Bookish will answer. Everyone is welcome to join. All we ask is that you link back to The Broke and the Bookish on your own Top Ten Tuesday post and, if you want to, add your name to the Linky widget on that day's posts (typically put up midnight EST on Tuesday) so that everyone can check out other bloggers lists! If you don't have a blog, just post your answers as a comment. Have fun with it! It's a fun way to get to know your fellow bloggers.

Our Thanksgiving in Canada was back in October but I'm going to list the top 10 books I'm thankful for, that have given me comfort or dragged me out of the darkness.

Complete Harry Potter Boxed SetOutlander (Outlander #1)The Enchanted Forest Chronicles: Dealing with Dragons / Searching for Dragons / Calling on Dragons / Talking to DragonsThe Chronicles of Prydain Boxed Set (The Chronicles of Prydain #1-5)The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, #1)The MartianDreamer's Pool (Blackthorn & Grim, #1)Blood Infernal (The Order of the Sanguines, #3)Monster Hunter International (Monster Hunter International, #1)Through Wolf's Eyes (Firekeeper Saga, #1)

1. The Harry Potter Series by J.K. Rowling - I'm thankful to have been a part of the first generation of readers. This series was and still is my constant companion. Growing up I was bullied a lot so these books really kept me together.
2. Outlander (Outlander #1) by Diana Gabaldon - This one is one of my favourite comfort reads. I love Jamie and Claire and I love all the emotions that I feel when I read it. It never gets old.
3. The Enchanted Forest Chronicles by Patricia C. Wrede - When I was growing up I spent my summers at the family cottage and there weren't any other kids my age around so this series is one I remember carting around a lot reading and re-reading.
4. The Prydain Chronicles by Lloyd Alexander - I remember one of my teachers reading this series to my class in the 4th grade I think and it brings back great memories for me. I also remember reading this during a particularly lonely time in 7th grade when I had no one, and went days without saying anything to anyone at school. It helped me so much back then.
5. The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy (Hitchhiker #1) by Douglas Adams - This is one I can always re-read. It's full of laughs and I always turn to it when I need to cheer up.
6. The Martian by Andy Weir - This was the first novel I was able to read after my mom died. I had only read a short graphic novel before it and finished the last 30 pages of a book started before she died. This was the first one that hooked me from the first page and helped ease the pain of her being gone just a bit. 
7. Dreamer's Pool (Blackthorn & Grim #1) by Juliet Marillier - Made me renew my love for fantasy.
8. Blood Infernal The Order of the Sanguines #3) by James Rollins & Rebecca Cantrell - I didn't know if I would be able to read this book ever. It's the last book of a series my mom and I read together and after losing her I didn't think I could finish it off, but I did and it was very cathartic in a way because she'd have wanted me to keep reading and I felt close to her when I read it.
9. Monster Hunter International (Monster Hunter International #1) by Larry Correia - This one was great I'd been meaning to read it for years but was actually going to delete it from my list. I'm grateful that I didn't as it's one of my favourite series now. 
10. Through Wolf's Eyes (Firekeeper Saga #1) by Jane Linkskold - I went through a bout where I didn't read for about 4 months and picked this one up randomly off my bookcase one day and BAM I was back reading again. I'm thankful for this one bringing me back to the world of books again.



41 comments:

  1. Harry Potter is a classic!!! I do agree with you that the books are awesome companions through tough times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. J.K. Rowling has probably saved a lot of kids with those books let me tell ya. She's amazing!

      Delete
  2. All interesting picks. Good selections there.Some of them id like too try. Hitch hikers guide to the galaxy was a good read

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is one of my most read books. I read it fifteen years ago because I wanted a boy to notice me (it was his favourite book) and whilst I have no idea about him anymore, this book has stayed with me. It's funny, and silly and ridiculous and that's just some of why I love it so much. Also, I'm going to ship Claire and Jaime forever. I really should catch up watching that show now I've finished the book series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love how books can be picked by us by chance and they end up staying with us forever sometimes. :) Glad Hitchhiker did that for you!

      Delete
  4. I think Harry Potter will always be a special series to me and so many others. It has introduced so many to reading! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really did. I remember when it came out and there were kids in my class that struggled reading before it came out and how much they loved reading afterwards.

      Delete
  5. Yes, Harry Potter! I want to give Outlaters I a try here soon, hearing nothing but great things about the books and the show.

    I did a few books that I read in 2016 that I am thankful you can see the list here: http://wonderstruck-kcks.blogspot.com/2016/11/books-ive-read-in-2016-that-im-thankful.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. I couldn't imagine life without Harry Potter anymore. I'm so thankful to J.K. Rowling for creating this wonderful world and characters <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. So many great books on your list. :)

    I'm currently reading Outlander (albeit very, very slowly) and I'm enjoying it! I promised a friend I would read it and I'm glad that I did.

    Thanks for the post! Here's my TTT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you're enjoying it Di! I hope you share what you think of it when you're done on your blog.

      Delete
  8. Heard great things about The Enchanted Forest books. Hitchhiker's Guide I started once years ago and never finished- what was I thinking??- I really need to go back to it. And dreamer's Pool looks really good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you get a chance to finish it Greg! I still haven't finished the series (blog started so old books got pushed aside), but I hope to do a re-read of the first couple, and finish it off in 2017.

      Delete
  9. Great list. Harry Potter is the one series I read alongside my wife, so it'll always be special. Hitchhiker's Guide is a classic, and The Martian was a great read I discovered just before the hype machine went into overdrive. Through Wolf's Eyes has been sitting on my TBR shelf for far too long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you get to Through Wolf's Eyes soon, I'd had it for years before I picked it up and I adored it and the second book. I'm going to finish off the series in 2017 though, as the next few books are super long.

      Delete
  10. Harry Potter was on my list too. I am so thankful to have discovered the series as a first generation and can't imagine my childhood without it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me neither. I think it would have been much lonelier if I didn't have this series.

      Delete
  11. Yes to Harry Potter- I can't believe I didn't include that in my list! I'm so sorry for the loss of your mom, but I'm glad you found a book to bring you some comfort and enjoyment (also The Martian is pretty fantastic!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kate, I think it was the humour in The Martian that helped so much. Books are sometimes the best source of comfort :)

      Delete
  12. I've seen Harry Potter many times in this weeks theme, it's a fantastic series. I've had Outlander on my TBR for quite a while and hope to read it this coming year. Thanks for sharing your list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you get to it in 2017! It's one that I think I'm going to love reading til the day I die it's sooo good.

      Delete
  13. I'm so happy to see Through Wolf's Eyes on your list - I love that series! Thanks for visiting my blog earlier!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Need to check out the majority of your list, pretty sure I've only read Harry Potter! :D

    ReplyDelete
  15. All of my yes to Harry Potter! Sadly, I didn't grow up with it because my parents didn't allow me to read it, but it has been a light for me as an adult. Great list :D

    Here are my Top Ten!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that it's a book that both adults and children can turn too :)

      Delete
  16. Yes to Harry Potter and Juliet Marillier is one of my favorite fantasy novelists. I simply love her writing. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've only read her Blackthorn & Grim series but can't wait to start her Sevenwaters series. She really is amazing!

      Delete
  17. I am thankful for The Hitchhiker's Guide and The Martian, too. Great fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. and sometimes a fun read is exactly what you need to read :)

      Delete
  18. Dreamer's Pool gets soo many good reviews! I should really check it out. Love Marillier's Sevenwaters Series!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lovely list. I am always very interested in seeing what people love in fiction, since that is not what I typically read. I have heard a lot of good things about many of these.

    Happy (late) Thanksgiving to you!
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Sarah! I love this meme because I always find something new that may not have found on my own.

      Delete
  20. I've not seen Monster Hunter International, but it looks like such a fun book! I will have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great series! I can't wait for the next book to come out.

      Delete

I love your comments! So feel free to comment away I'll try to answer every post so check back! . Also feel free to leave a link to your blog and I will absolutely follow you back :) Happy Reading!
*Note: This is an award free blog, thanks for thinking of me but I simply don't have the time to pass it along!