Followers

Follow on Bloglovin

Now on Instagram!

Instagram

Saturday, November 9, 2013

We Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus by Brenda Novak

We Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus
 
Summary:
 
Jaclyn Wentworth is on her own with three little kids. She used to be married to the golden boy--former golden boy--of their small Nevada town. The marriage was a disaster because her ex-husband never grew up. And he sure wasn't much of a daddy.
Now Jaclyn's living in Reno. And who, of all people, does she run into there but Cole Perrini, bad boy of Feld, Nevada. Former bad boy. He was her ex-husband's opposite in every way--and he still is. Because Cole's made good in every sense of the word.
Will Jaclyn and her children get the husband and father they deserve? Not a Scrooge, but a Santa!
Summary & Cover taken from Goodreads.com
Length: 304 pages (Mass Market Paperback)
Source: Bought
Available Formats: Print/E-book
Publication Date: November 1st 2001 by Harlequin Books
 
This is the third novel I've read from Brenda Novak and I have to admit, it's actually my favourite one so far. I used to love Harlequin Super Romances back in the day so when I saw this for sale during the summer at my local used bookstore I just had to have it and since I'm participating in the Ho Ho Ho Read-a-Thon I thought this would make the perfect read and it was.
 
I was a little unsure of how this romance would turn out. I've read one of the authors newer historicals as well as one of her newer contemporary romances and I've learned to be a little leery of some authors older titles but with this one my fears were completely unfounded.
 
I read We Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus in one sitting, it was that good folks. I thought the story was so realistic that I couldn't help but root for Jackie the heroine. She went through a really bitter divorce and she's striving to make a life for herself and her three children but it's had because she has a dick of an ex-husband and she has to deal with his dick of a father who is set on controlling all of their lives. I'm a sucker for a heroine who already has kids because they're generally a lot smarter than some other female leads and I like that they generally aren't self centered. Jackie was great, she had lived a privileged life before her divorce but she has a good head on her shoulders and she understand the value of a dollar.
 
Cole, was a bit of an enigma at first. He was one of those strong silent types with a good heart, but very shy when it came to anything that dealt with feelings. He was smart, well to do and had a loyal heart and I loved how he was with Jackie and her three kids. He was very protective of not only her, but her 3 kids as well.
 
As a couple I thought they were great. They new each other in high school and she married her ex-husband who was the most popular guy in school while he was on the outskirts and was considered trailer trash. I liked how after both of them went through some difficult times in life that they found each other after years.
 
Overall, I thought We Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus was a great contemporary romance. It wasn't completely set around the holidays but Christmas did play a big part of the story in the latter half of the story. Brenda Novak is fast becoming a favourite author of mine, and I can't wait to read more of her books in the near future. She was able to create a great clean romance that was sweet without being sappy and like I mentioned it was realistic so there were some laughs and a little drama thrown in for good measure.
 
I would recommend this to all fans of contemporary romances. While the cover dates the novel (it was published in 2001) I think the story holds up well and I didn't think it was cheesy in the least and I thought it was a great quick read with a lot of warmth.
 
 
I read this book for the following reading challenges:
 
2013 150+ Reading Challenge

Loved It!
★★★★★
To "Like" Brenda on Facebook CLICK HERE
To "Follow" Brenda on Twitter  CLICK HERE
To become a "Fan" of Brenda on Goodreads CLICK HERE
To visit Brenda's Website CLICK HERE
To purchase the book via Amazon CLICK HERE
To purchase the book via Kobo CLICK HERE
To purchase the book via Barnes & Noble CLICK HERE
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2496186.We_Saw_Mommy_Kissing_Santa_Claus
 
 

14 comments:

  1. This sounds like a really cute book! =)
    http://readingnks.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a very heartwarming romance -- I'm glad you enjoyed it! I've only read one Brenda Novak so far, but it was good, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was such a good read, I enjoyed how fleshed out the romance between Cole and Jackie was, there was no insta-love in this one at all and Novak really let things build :) Next I have to try one of her suspense novels.

      Delete
  3. Sounds like a feel-good book. I would never have looked twice at this book as the cover is a cheese fest but I'm changing my mind now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, yeah the older Harlequins tend to have cheesy covers but finding that the stories are good is the best part :) I hope you get it since its under $4 on Kindle.

      Delete
  4. I don't think I've read any of hers yet but this sounds like one I'd enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awe this sounds so cute, and I have had good luck with Novak. She always makes you feel good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right? I just love her writing style, I love how real she always makes them out to be.

      Delete
  6. Ooo I haven't tried her yet. Will keep an eye out for this one when I hit the thrift stores next time :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've got to give her a try Anna. She wrote a delicious historical Honor Bound a couple years ago and it was great!

      Delete
  7. I love picking up Harlequin novels from the library, because you are usually guaranteed a great, quick romance. I will have to look for this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, although I'm not much of a fan of their Harlequin Presents line of titles. The heroines are all far to insipid for my tastes but the older Super Romances have a special place in my heart :)

      Delete

I love your comments! So feel free to comment away I'll try to answer every post so check back! . Also feel free to leave a link to your blog and I will absolutely follow you back :) Happy Reading!
*Note: This is an award free blog, thanks for thinking of me but I simply don't have the time to pass it along!