Followers

Follow on Bloglovin

Now on Instagram!

Instagram

Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Waiting On Wednesday #96

 
Waiting on Wednesday is a weekly meme hosted by Jill at Breaking The Spine and is where we can talk about books we are looking forward to being released.
 
My Real Children
 
Summary:
 
It's 2015, and Patricia Cowan is very old. "Confused today," read the notes clipped to the end of her bed. She forgets things she should know—what year it is, major events in the lives of her children. But she remembers things that don’t seem possible. She remembers marrying Mark and having four children. And she remembers not marrying Mark and raising three children with Bee instead. She remembers the bomb that killed President Kennedy in 1963, and she remembers Kennedy in 1964, declining to run again after the nuclear exchange that took out Miami and Kiev.

Her childhood, her years at Oxford during the Second World War—those were solid things. But after that, did she marry Mark or not? Did her friends all call her Trish, or Pat? Had she been a housewife who escaped a terrible marriage after her children were grown, or a successful travel writer with homes in Britain and Italy? And the moon outside her window: does it host a benign research station, or a command post bristling with nuclear missiles?

Two lives, two worlds, two versions of modern history. Each with their loves and losses, their sorrows and triumphs. My Real Children is the tale of both of Patricia Cowan's lives...and of how every life means the entire world.
Summary & Cover taken from Goodreads.com
Length: 320 pages (Hardcover)
Expected Publication Date: May 20th 2014 by Tor Books
 
Why I'm Waiting:
 
The main reason I want to read this one so badly is because it sounds so different from anything that I've ever read and sounds completely amazing as well.
 
Thief's Magic (Millenium’s Rule, #1)
 
Summary:
 
In a world where an industrial revolution is powered by magic, Tyen, a student of archaeology, discovers an sentient book in an ancient tomb. Vella was once a young sorcerer-maker, until she was transformed into a useful tool by one of the greatest sorcerers of history. Since then she has been gathering information, including a vital clue to the disaster Tyen’s world faces.

Elsewhere, in an land ruled by the priests since a terrible war depleted all but a little magic, Rielle the dyer’s daughter has been taught that to use magic is to steal from the Angels. Yet she knows from her ability to sense the stain it leaves behind that she has a talent for it, and that there are people willing to teach her how to use it, should she ever need to risks the Angels’ wrath.

Further away, a people called the Travellers live their entire lives on the move, trading goods from one world to another. They know that each world has its own store of magic, reducing or increasing a sorcerer’s abilities, so that if one entered a weak world they may be unable to leave it again. Each family maintains a safe trading route passed down through countless generations and modified whenever local strife makes visiting dangerous. But this is not the only knowledge the Travellers store within their stories and songs, collected over millennia spent roaming the universe. They know a great change is due, and that change brings both loss and opportunity.
Summary & Cover taken from Goodreads.com
Length: 528 pages (Hardcover)
Expected Publication Date: May 24th 2014 by Orbit
 
Why I'm Waiting:
 
I have the first books in two of this author's other series on my TBR list for this winter which I am determined to get to before this one comes out. I knew this one was one that I'd need to try as soon as I read the summary.
 
 
What are YOU waiting for this Wednesday?  
 
 
 
 

5 comments:

  1. I cannot wait for this one! Great pick.

    Check our WOW

    Leydy @ OUaT & Redcarpetendings

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG, these are both really great choices! I haven't heard about them yet, but I'm adding them on my to-read list, because they sound amazing. I'm hoping for unreliable narrator in My Real Children :) And I haven't read any Trudi Canavan's books yet, so it's good to start with fresh new series. Thank for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both of these sound really good. I love a good book with a time travel theme. Definitely going to be checking this one out. Thanks for sharing.

    my WOW: http://www.bookythoughtsandme.com/waiting-on-wednesday-things-you-kiss-goodbye/

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have me very curious about the My Children book..what a unique premises. Awesome picks Kim!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am intrigued by the Jo Walton novel, especially the historical aspects. Happy reading!
    http://thelittlereaderlibrary.blogspot.co.uk/2014/01/waiting-on-wednesday.html

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments! So feel free to comment away I'll try to answer every post so check back! . Also feel free to leave a link to your blog and I will absolutely follow you back :) Happy Reading!
*Note: This is an award free blog, thanks for thinking of me but I simply don't have the time to pass it along!