Followers

Follow on Bloglovin

Now on Instagram!

Instagram

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Kisses from Katie by Katie J. Davis and Beth Clark


Summary:
What would cause an eighteen-year-old old senior class president and homecoming queen from Nashville, Tennessee, to disobey and disappoint her parents by forgoing college, break her little brother’s heart, lose all but a handful of her friends (because the rest of them think she has gone off the deep end), and break up with the love of her life, all so she could move to Uganda, where she knew only one person but didn’t know any of the language? A passion to make a difference. Katie Davis left over Christmas break her senior year for a short mission trip to Uganda and her life was turned completely inside out. She found herself so moved, so broken by the people and the children of Uganda that she knew her calling was to return and care for them. Her story is like Mother Teresa’s in that she has given up everything—at such a young age—to care for the less fortunate of this world. Katie, a charismatic and articulate young woman, has gone on to adopt 14 children during her time in Uganda, and she completely trusts God for daily provision for her and her family, which includes children with special needs.
To further her reach into the needs of Ugandans, Katie established Amazima Ministries. The ministry matches orphaned children with sponors worldwide. Each sponsor's $300/year provides schooling, school supplies, three hot meals a day, minor medical care, and spiritual encouragement. Katie expected to have forty children in the program; she had signed up 150 by January 2008; today it sponsors over 400. Another aspect of the ministry is a feeding program created for the displaced Karamojong people—Uganda's poorest citizens. The program feeds lunch to over 1200 children Monday-Friday and sends them home with a plate for food; it also offers basic medical care, Bible study, and general health training.
Katie Davis, now 21, is more than fascinating, she's inspiring, as she has wholeheartedly answered the call to serve.
Summary taken from GoodReads.com
Length: 288 pages (Kindle copy)
Source: NetGalley ARC
Publication Date: October 4th 2011

I was first drawn to this book because I've had an obsession with Africa ever since I was a child and have always dreamed of going over there and helping so I was able to live vicariously through Katie for at least a little while.

This is the story of a remarkable young woman who is the same age as me who was brave enough to leave the comforts of her upper middle class life to volunteer her time, energy and heart to the people of Uganda.

Through all of her trials she uses her faith in God to get her through and eventually things while hard start to fall in to place and she falls in love with the kind, loving, beautiful souls of Uganda the place she now calls home as she adopts not one but 13 girls who now call her mommy. A feat that deserves tremendous applause.

I have a lot of respect for Katie. I commend her on having such a kind loving heart and giving herself to the people who really need her. She is living my dream. Her story was such an inspiration to me that it awakened a part of me that's been buried since I met Mr. Turning the Pages. Before him I used to want to teach English as a second language in Africa but slowly thoughts like that got shoved to the side as new dreams replaced the old but now I'm going to get my ESL certification so I can accomplish the old dream of working over seas. So really I have to thank Katie for reawakening that in me.

I thought the book was well written. The only part I didn't like was how the book was a little bit preachy because she mentioned God a little too much for my tastes and could have gotten her point across without being so repetitive but all in all I think she gives a unique perspective of Uganda from a fresh set of eyes and I wish her all the very best and hope she continues to have success. Maybe one day I'll meet her...perhaps I should even e-mail her and let her know how her book affected me.

I strongly advise checking this book out. It will make you think and hopefully change your perceptions of the world...and maybe even persuade you to do a little more to help those in need.


*I recieved a copy of this book from the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for my free and honest review.

★ ★ ★ ★

5 comments:

  1. Great review. Im so proud of you. Youll do amazing work down there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, looks like a good read. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was a good read despite the religious undertones :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Katie's story is a story of youth gone good. It is both heartwarming and heartbreaking - and in reading it you will never be satisfied with a status quo lifestyle again. If you have never felt a gentle nudge from God that you have something beyond yourself to accomplish in this world - or if you have suppressed and ignored the nudge - this book serves as a loud, clanging, blaring wakeup call to hear and embrace your call.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can I just say what a relief to find someone who actually knows what theyre talking about on the internet. You definitely know how to bring an issue to light and make it important. More people need to read this and understand this side of the story. I cant believe youre not more popular because you definitely have the gift.


    Slides.com
    Website
    Information

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments! So feel free to comment away I'll try to answer every post so check back! . Also feel free to leave a link to your blog and I will absolutely follow you back :) Happy Reading!
*Note: This is an award free blog, thanks for thinking of me but I simply don't have the time to pass it along!