Followers

Follow on Bloglovin

Now on Instagram!

Instagram

Saturday, January 14, 2012

If I Should Die Before I Wake by Lurlene McDaniel



Summary:
Deanne doesn't want to spend her summer on silly debutante activities, like hanging out at the country club and flirting with the rich boys. She'd rather spend time with the kids in the cancer wing at the local hospital. Wil Deanne's compassion lead her to love -- and heartbreak?
Summary taken from Goodreads.com

Now I know I said that I wouldn't be reading anymore books by this author but I couldn't help it. When I read it a few days ago I really needed a short book to pass the time. At 124 pages this book certainly fit the bill.

As much as I like Lurlene's earlier works this one fell very short for me. Actually I would even venture to say that this is my least favourite book of hers that I've ever read and I've read somewhere in the neighbourhood of 20+ of her works. I just couldn't connect to the characters or the setting.

The writing and the story in general seemed bery one dimensional to me and almost as though she didn't really put much thought or effort into this book which was disappointing since she's one of my favourite childhood authors.

I wish the Deanne had been more personable and I really wanted to smack her mother because she didn't want her daughter to help people in the hospital. Seriously, who wouldn't want their kids to be that compassionate?  To me Deanne although I pitied her for how her mother treated her I just couldn't like. I also didn't like Matt the boy she met in the hospital that much either but I think that it's because the story was so rushed and the author left out a lot of details which I wish she would have put it. 

Despite my feelings for this book I do think it's a great book for girls and boys aged 11+.

★ ★ ★

1 comment:

  1. This is not a summary, this is a critique.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments! So feel free to comment away I'll try to answer every post so check back! . Also feel free to leave a link to your blog and I will absolutely follow you back :) Happy Reading!
*Note: This is an award free blog, thanks for thinking of me but I simply don't have the time to pass it along!