Followers

Follow on Bloglovin

Now on Instagram!

Instagram

Saturday, January 7, 2012

WarHorse by Michael Morpurgo


Summary:
A powerful tale of war, redemption, and a hero's journey--now available in paperback!

In 1914, Joey, a beautiful bay-red foal with a distinctive cross on his nose, is sold to the army and thrust into the midst of the war on the Western Front. With his officer, he charges toward the enemy, witnessing the horror of the battles in France. But even in the desolation of the trenches, Joey's courage touches the soldiers around him and he is able to find warmth and hope. But his heart aches for Albert, the farmer's son he left behind. Will he ever see his true master again?
Summary taken from Goodreads.com

So my main motivation for reading this book is because I desperately want to see the movie and haven't been able to yet. On the other hand I love a goods kids book about a horse as much as the next girl.

What I loved most about this book is that it was written from the point of view of the horse Joey much in the style of Black Beauty. The way the author wrote it is perfect for readers young and old to enjoy as it is not overly simple or overly complex.

I think that the author Michael Moepurgo did a superb job of getting the setting right and making me feel like I was right there alongside Joey throughout the novel. In fact I enjoyed this book so much I had to read it all at once in one sitting!

Joey, the horse seemed like the most human character I've read about it a long. long, long time. I thought that this was a unique recounting of one of the bloodiest wars in human history because of the way it was told. 

Throughout the book I found myself hoping that Joey would indeed live to see his master  Albert again and I thought his strength and determination to never give up despite the danger he was in which included illness. starvation and fear.

This book is one that I can absolutely see myself reading again and plan on reading it when I have children of my own one day. I highly recommend that everyone who loves a good animal story to read this as it is a great tale of triumphing over adversity shown through a rare if not unique pair of eyes.

I truly wonder if people ever stop and think of not only the brave people who served in the war and the victims but also of the grave animal sacrifices. Next time you see a horse maybe you'll remember to thank them for their ancestors serving in the war as well. I know I will

★ ★ ★ ★

1 comment:

  1. I read this book because it seemed very interesting, and i got it for Christmas. when i saw the cover i said, " wow they made a movie of this i wanna see it" i think this book is very good i especially like how the horse Joey is like telling the story. but it is so well written that it almost seems as if Joey is a human, or that you are just witnessing the happenings of this. i totally agree with that other girl, the one who said "i love a good kids book about a horse as much as the next girl" the book is very good i would recommend it to everyone. it is quite educational, even if it fiction, but like he said it was BITS of truth put together to make ON BIG truth.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments! So feel free to comment away I'll try to answer every post so check back! . Also feel free to leave a link to your blog and I will absolutely follow you back :) Happy Reading!
*Note: This is an award free blog, thanks for thinking of me but I simply don't have the time to pass it along!