Followers

Follow on Bloglovin

Now on Instagram!

Instagram

Friday, December 6, 2013

Friday 56 #5



This is a fun meme to do hosted by Freda's Voice If you'd like to join on the fun go to The Friday 56

 Rules:
 
 *Grab a book, any book.
*Turn to page 56 or 56% in your eReader.
*Find any sentence that grabs you.
*Post it.
*Link it.

The Minor Adjustment Beauty Salon (No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency, #14)
 
Summary:
 
Modern ideas get tangled up with traditional ones in the latest intriguing installment in the beloved, best-selling No. 1 Ladies’ Detective Agency series.

Precious Ramotswe has taken on two puzzling cases. First she is approached by the lawyer Mma Sheba, who is the executor of a deceased farmer’s estate. Mma Sheba has a feeling that the young man who has stepped forward may be falsely impersonating the farmer’s nephew in order to claim his inheritance. Mma Ramotswe agrees to visit the farm and find out what she can about the self-professed nephew. Then the proprietor of the Minor Adjustment Beauty Salon comes to Mma Ramotswe for advice. The opening of her new salon has been shadowed by misfortune. Not only has she received a bad omen in the mail, but rumors are swirling that the salon is using dangerous products that burn people’s skin. Could someone be trying to put the salon out of business?

Meanwhile, at the office, Mma Ramotswe has noticed something different about Grace Makutsi lately. Though Mma Makutsi has mentioned nothing, it has become clear that she is pregnant . . . But in Botswana—a land where family has always been held above all else—this may be cause for controversy as well as celebration.

With genuine warmth, sympathy, and wit, Alexander McCall Smith explores some tough questions about married life, parenthood, grief, and the importance of the traditions that shape and guide our lives.

This is the fourteenth installment in the series.
Summary & Cover taken from Goodreads.com
Length: 256 pages (Hardcover)
Publication Date: November 5th 2013 by Pantheon
 
Phuti smiled. "I asked them at the hospital if babies came with instruction books—you know, like fridges do, or cookers, or any electrical appliance. You get those instruction books, sometimes with pictures, telling you what to do."
 

11 comments:

  1. ha ha I loved that sentence you chose! If only kids did come with instruction books :) This is the first time I have seen this meme, it looks like so much fun!

    Chanzie @ Mean Who You Are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I should try this series. I've heard alot about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have read a few of the first in the series. This looks like fun.

    Harvee
    Book Dilettante

    ReplyDelete
  4. This one sounds hilarious! I still haven't read this author...I must try! Thanks for sharing...and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. that is really a great 56. i always wanted to try out this series ..everytime i see the books, i plan to pick them up .. now i definitely will.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Alexander McCall Smith. His books are witty and his characters are lovable. Thanks for visiting my Friday 56 post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So many people love his books, but I was never able to get into them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would be more excited to have kids, if they came with instruction manuals.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I recently read the very 1st volume of the series, to finally try that famous author, but I have to say, I was not impressed at all.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Excellent sentence! I love it.

    The first book didn't do anything for me but maybe I should try again.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments! So feel free to comment away I'll try to answer every post so check back! . Also feel free to leave a link to your blog and I will absolutely follow you back :) Happy Reading!
*Note: This is an award free blog, thanks for thinking of me but I simply don't have the time to pass it along!