Followers

Follow on Bloglovin

Now on Instagram!

Instagram

Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Waiting on Wednesday #122

 
Waiting on Wednesday is a weekly meme hosted by Jill at Breaking The Spine and is where we can talk about books we are looking forward to being released.
 
Uprooted
 
Summary:
 
Naomi Novik, author of the bestselling and critically acclaimed Temeraire novels, introduces a bold new world rooted in folk stories and legends, as elemental as a Grimm fairy tale.
“Our Dragon doesn’t eat the girls he takes, no matter what stories they tell outside our valley. We hear them sometimes, from travelers passing through. They talk as though we were doing human sacrifice, and he were a real dragon. Of course that’s not true: he may be a wizard and immortal, but he’s still a man, and our fathers would band together and kill him if he wanted to eat one of us every ten years. He protects us against the Wood, and we’re grateful, but not that grateful.”
Agnieszka loves her valley home, her quiet village, the forests and the bright shining river. But the corrupted Wood stands on the border, full of malevolent power, and its shadow lies over her life.
Her people rely on the cold, driven wizard known only as the Dragon to keep its powers at bay. But he demands a terrible price for his help: one young woman handed over to serve him for ten years, a fate almost as terrible as falling to the Wood.
The next choosing is fast approaching, and Agnieszka is afraid. She knows—everyone knows—that the Dragon will take Kasia: beautiful, graceful, brave Kasia, all the things Agnieszka isn’t, and her dearest friend in the world. And there is no way to save her.

But Agnieszka fears the wrong things. For when the Dragon comes, it is not Kasia he will choose.
Summary & Cover taken from Goodreads.com
Length: 432 pages (Hardcover)
Expected Publication Date: June 30th 2015 by Del Rey
 
Why I'm Waiting:
 
I love Novik's Temeraire series which deals with alternate history and dragons so I can't wait to see how her YA novel will turn out.
 
The Lightkeeper's Wife
 
Summary:
 
Alone on the tip of the cape, Hannah Snow is on the verge of her most heroic rescue yet.

On 19th century Cape Cod, Hannah Snow shouldn't even be in the water. Her husband, John, would be furious-it's his job to tend to Dangerfield Light. It's certainly not women's work, and his quick trips out of town don't give her permission to rush toward the tattered ships. But she does, and though she can't save everyone, William "Billy" Pike, is someone she can. He's recuperating in her care when John's horse is found abandoned. Hannah invites Billy to stay as a hired hand-but soon discovers that he is not at all whom she thought he was. When everything holding her together falls apart, can Hannah learn how to save herself?
Summary & Cover taken from Goodreads.com
Length: 304 pages (Paperback)
Expected Publication Date: September 9th 2014 by Sourcebooks Landmark
 
Why I'm waiting:
 
I rather like lighthouses, and find that any time I read a book set around one that it's always a good read.
 
What are you waiting on?
 
 
if-youre-here-blinkie 
 

11 comments:

  1. Great pick!! I love the cover for Uprooted!! I've never heard of it before!! I'll have to check it out!!

    Check out my WoW:

    http://addictreaders.blogspot.com/2014/07/waiting-on-wednesday-65-infected-by.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. These both sound like interesting reads, thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't read anything by this author but it looks really interesting!
    here's our WOW

    Janhvi @ The Readdicts

    ReplyDelete
  4. Uprooted has such a lovely cover. Both seem interesting. Thanks for sharing :)

    Happy Wednesday!

    Shane @ Itching for Books

    ReplyDelete
  5. Novik does faery tales? Now that could be interesting . . .

    Here's my WOW

    ReplyDelete
  6. These both look tempting...I especially love the sound and look of The Lightkeeper's Wife. Thanks for sharing and enjoy.

    Here's mine: “YOU”


    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I love alternative history too the last good one I read was King's 11-22-63
    thanks for sharing this

    ReplyDelete
  8. The cover for uproot is stunning! i love it! adding it to my TBR list, thanks for sharing :)

    Nemo @ Blame it on the Book

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the cover for Uproot. Both books sound good. Thanks for sharing! Here's My WoW

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hadn't heard of Uprooted before, I want to read it now too :D

    My WoW

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love lighthouses too. Great picks!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments! So feel free to comment away I'll try to answer every post so check back! . Also feel free to leave a link to your blog and I will absolutely follow you back :) Happy Reading!
*Note: This is an award free blog, thanks for thinking of me but I simply don't have the time to pass it along!