Followers

Follow on Bloglovin

Now on Instagram!

Instagram

Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Top Ten Tuesday #60

Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created here at The Broke and the Bookish. This feature was created because we are particularly fond of lists here at The Broke and the Bookish. We'd love to share our lists with other bookish folks and would LOVE to see your top ten lists!
 
Top Ten "Gateway" Books/Authors In My Reading Journey/Books That Got me Through Rough Spots
 
 
Harry Potter
 
Harry Potter Boxset (Harry Potter, #1-7)
 
I remember receiving the first 3 when the first box set of them came out in the late 90's and while I was a reader long before them these became my whole world. When the series ended when I was 17, I cried. I've re-read books 1-6 since then but I can't bring myself to re-read book 7. Still, this series is why I'm the reader I am now almost 20 years after discovering the magic within them. Plus this series is my go to whenever things become a little too much for me to handle.
 
The Chronicles of Prydain
 
The Chronicles of Prydain Boxed Set
 
This series was read to me when I was in grade 4 and 5 (I had a teacher that taught dual grades) and I loved hearing it read aloud to me. When I was 13 I went through a really bad depression that lasted the better part of 2 years)and this series gave me a wonderful escape.
 
The Enchanted  Forest Chronicles
 
The Enchanted Forest Chronicles: Dealing with Dragons / Searching for Dragons / Calling on Dragons / Talking to Dragons
 
This one also helped get me through my depression, it was hilarious and is a series I still come back to often.
 
The Earth's Children
 
The Clan of the Cave Bear, the Valley of Horses, the Mammoth Hunters, the Plains of Passage, The Shelters of Stone (Earth's Children, #1-5)
 
I've always loved history, mostly prehistory and when I discovered this series when I was 13 it opened up a whole new reading world for me.
 
Dark Champion
 
Dark Champion (Dark Champion, #2)
 
One of my first historical romance reads at the tender age of 11. This introduced me to the wonderful world of historical romance.
 
Bitten
 
Bitten (Women of the Otherworld, #1)
 
First read this one in 2003 when I found this and the first one on someone's lawn where they had a box of books for free. Loved it then and love it then. This started my love of paranormal romance.
 
Sahara
 
Sahara (Dirk Pitt, #11)
 
As I touch on in last week's TTT post I went through a years long action adventure phase and this is the one that started it all.
 
Journey to the Center of the Earth
 
Journey to the Center of the Earth (Extraordinary Voyages, #3)
 
This was my first book that I'd read by Verne and served as an awesome introduction to his writing. I loved the old movie, which my mom and I still love to watch and I loved immersing myself in his world
 
Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
 
The Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, #1-5)
 
Hilarious, Outrageous and addictive this book introduced me to the world of quirky science fiction.
 
Long Walk to Freedom
 
Long Walk to Freedom
 
It's no secret that idolize this man, and when I read this when I was 18 5 years it was one of the few non-fiction books I'd loved at the time. This was my gateway to reading more non fiction especially autobiographies and biographies. I loved this book and plan on reading it again this year.
 
What's your Top 10 this Tuesday?
 
if-youre-here-blinkie

12 comments:

  1. Great list Kimberly! :) I'm with you with Harry Potter, Twilight, and Clive Cussler. I don't think I've read any autobiography/biography yet, well apart from Mitch Albom's Tuesday with Morrie, if that counts. And the only non-fiction books I've read are for school. LOL. Although I did buy a couple of non-fiction about self-improvement but haven't really finished any of them yet. :) Thanks for stopping by my TTT post.

    Camille @ Girl meets Books

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL I was such a late bloomer to the reading front and seeing all of yalls posts really drives that home. My first reads as an adult were just a few years ago...Janet Evanovich, Lori Foster, Rachel Gibson, Sherrilyn Kenyon, Charlaine Harris, Laurell K Hamilton, Cherise Sinclair, Sue Grafton, JD Robb and Molly Harper :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic list :-) It's nice to see Harry Potter being so popular on these lists this week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great list! Harry Potter got me through some tough times too, it will always have a spot on my favorites list. Oooh, I should have added Journey to the Center of the Earth to my list - that was another of my favorite authors that I discovered way back when :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved the Earth's Children, Potter, Narnia, Lord of the Rings, The Hobbit, The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love HP. Really need to read a Kelley Armstrong book though. great list!
    here's our TTT

    Janhvi @ The Readdicts

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your list :D and I really appreciate how books appeared at all sorts of times during your life - happy times as well as depressing times.

    Thanks for stopping by my post earlier :)

    My TTT

    Obsessive Compulsive Reader

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think Harry Potter is on most of the lists this week, and I can totally understand it - I have it on my list as well. :) Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yay, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy!!! LOVE it! I also loved HP and the Earth's Children series. You have good taste in books! :-)

    I didn't manage a TTT post today, but I did post a review of a book that I think absolutely everyone should read - check it out HERE!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kelley Armstrong was one of my paranormal gateway authors too. Bitten is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm ashamed to admit that I didn't read Harry Potter until a long time after I got into reading and I still haven't read books 6 & 7. :(

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments! So feel free to comment away I'll try to answer every post so check back! . Also feel free to leave a link to your blog and I will absolutely follow you back :) Happy Reading!
*Note: This is an award free blog, thanks for thinking of me but I simply don't have the time to pass it along!